How to Find the Right Sized Gas Fireplace for Your Home
Typically, gas fireplaces are classified into four sizes – small, medium, large, and extra-large. As a basic benchmark, a small gas fireplace will heat less than 500 sq. ft., a medium gas fireplace will heat between 500 – 1,000 sq. ft, a large gas fireplace will heat between 1,000 – 2,200 sq. ft., and an extra-large gas fireplace will heat over 2,200+ sq. ft. These figures are based on an average size, single-story home in a moderate climate, and an open floor plan.
Pro Tip: Quickly measure the size of the space you are looking to heat to quickly and easily categorize the size of your fireplace needs by measuring the Length (L) and Width (W). L x W = Sq. Ft.
Standard Gas Fireplace Square Foot Heating Capacity
- Small Gas Fireplace: less than 500 sq. ft.
- Medium Gas Fireplace: 500 - 1,000 sq. ft.
- Large Gas Fireplace: 1,000 - 2,200 sq. ft.
- Extra-Large Gas Fireplace: 2,200+ sq. ft.
Note: this is simply a benchmark. A fireplace’s actual heating capacity will vary dramatically based on a high number of factors, see below for more details, and always discuss sizing and installation with an Authorized Regency dealer.
Factors Affecting Gas Fireplace Heating Capacity?
There is a wide variety of factors that can influence the heating capacity of your gas fireplace, insert or stove, some of these include:
- Ceiling Height
- The total volume of the room can drastically change the heating capacity of a gas fireplace
- Older poorly insulated homes will decrease the heating capacity of a fireplace, whereas new highly insulated homes may increase the capacity of the fireplace
- Number of Windows
- Windows (even dual-pane) are a source of cooler air, and the more windows in a home/room, the greater the obstacle to the fireplaces heating capacity
- Room/Wall Layout
- Open rooms vs. homes with lots of walls will affect how effective the fireplace is at heating an area
- Other Vented Appliances
- Is there a hood vent in the same room as the fireplace? A dryer? Other appliances that require external venting can affect the draft and efficiency of your gas fireplace.
Which Style Is Right For You?
Find the right fireplace for you with the Regency Product Wizard. Pick your fuel type, style, and room size and the product wizard will show you all the fireplaces that will fit best for you!
You can then take it one step forward and create the look of your dreams with the Regency Fireplace Design Center where you can pick and choose the accessories to get the look of your dreams.
Popular Regency Gas Fireplaces by Size
Popular Small Gas Fireplaces
Popular Medium Gas Fireplaces
Popular Large Gas Fireplaces
Popular Extra-Large Gas Fireplaces
You May Also Like…